Another well-rounded collection of museums that offer each other’s members the benefits of reciprocal admission, is that of ROAM – The Reciprocal Organization of Associated Museums.
Many of these museums fall into the Art, History, and Culture categories, and there is a bit of overlap with the NARM Reciprocal Program; but I do see some locations on here that are unique to this ROAM Program.
Typically, your membership card from a participating location will enable you to receive FREE, but sometimes discounted, admission to any of the other participating locations.
But, as with most programs, ROAM museums may maintain the following limitations:
* ROAM privileges may be restricted for concerts/lectures/special exhibitions and ticketed events.
+ ROAM privileges do not extend to other institutions members within a 25 mile (40 km) radius.
‡ ROAM privileges do not apply to the [Specific gallery/exhibition/attraction].
** There may be limitations to the size of your party that receive reciprocal benefits.
So, as always, use our list as a planning tool, but ALWAYS make contact directly with any locations you plan on visiting to ensure their current program participation, and any other restrictions that may apply.
Step 1: Check out our list below for informational purposes! Click on the Attraction Name to go straight to the museum’s website, or click on the City / State to find other AWESOME family-friendly activities in that area!
Step 2: Make sure you get the official scoop by reading through the Official ROAM Reciprocal Program details here!
Step 3: Support YOUR local, participating ROAM-affiliated Museums by purchasing a Membership Package!
Step 4: Get your Official ROAM-affiliated Reciprocal Membership Card and prepare to bring it, along with your photo ID, when you travel!
Step 5: Don’t forget to call ahead to ensure the Museum you’d like to visit is still currently and actively offering their FREE or discounted admission to members of this program. Rules and participation can and will change throughout the year!
Step 6: ENJOY!
Before you travel…
- Make sure the museum you are visiting is not excluded. Local exclusions may apply.
- Review that museum’s family admittance policy. There may be limits to the number of people in your household eligible for benefits.
- Download the list of participating venues below and call before you visit to confirm your available benefits.
- Pack your ID (or other proof of residence). Admission staff reserves the right to request proof of residence for benefits to apply.
- Pack your membership card. Participating venues are not required to grant benefits to visitors who forget their cards. There is no universal database with all visitors’ member data and expiration dates for admission staff to reference.
2020 ROAM Participating Museums